Sunday, October 21, 2012

YOU CAN'T LOOSE WEIGHT EATING FRIES!


As a medical professional, NOTHING gets me more pissed off than those FALSE claims that state “you can lose weight without changing your lifestyle". Sure you can take some music pill that's going to make you poop out everything you ingest and destroy your intestines so you can continue to stuff your face with fried foods and drink like a sailor. You can also take a magic pill that will speed up your metabolism to the point of heart failure so you don't have to lift a finger in order to burn extra calories. You can do that and you will lose weight... but for how long?


What price are you willing to pay for the easy way out? I have tried every appetite suppressant and fat burning pill on the market. I wanted to lose weight without giving up my vices. It was nothing for me to consume a large bag of Laffy Taffy during a twelve hour shift at the hospital. There were days I didn't have the time to sit down and eat a regular meal, so my Laffy Taffy was always by my side. My second vice WAS eating after work. As a nurse I work 13 to 14 hour (sometimes longer) shifts. Since my day was usually fueled by banana and strawberry Laffy Taffies, hunger would set in at the end of the day once I was off my sugar high. I was never into fast foods but a Seven Layer Barrito would always hit the spot after a long day’s work.

 
Being active is not an issue for me. I've always used exercise as my "me" time and dance has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. It took me a long time to make the connection between how eating right, the right amount of activity, my environment, and rest affected my weight. Due to illness, a very bad marriage, and living in a city I had no connection with; I ballooned from a size 4 to a size 12. Once I regained my health, got divorced, and moved I thought the weight would just drop off... NOT!

For years I struggled and fought to regain my model figure. I gave up hours of sleep in order to increase my workout time and popped every fad diet pill on the market but to no avail. Then one day out of the mouth of babes came my salvation. I was laid out on the coach clutching a bag of Circus Peanuts Candy, moaning about how I'm killing myself at the gym but I'm not losing any weight. My daughter in her infinite wisdom, snatched my bag of orange marshmallow treats from my hands and bluntly said, "How do you expect to lose weight if you keep eating these things?"


It's taken me two years since she liberated me from my candy shackles to drop back down to a size 4. I did it with balance and LOTS of self-control. I had to break one routine and start another. My routine is: exercise 1:15mins two to three times per week, African Dance 2hours once a week, 1liter of unsweetened green tea with lemon every morning, 4 capsules of organic coconut oil per day, 1liter of cold water with a fresh lemon once a day, half a liter of warm water with 1 fresh lemon at night. I cook every other day (enough to last us 2 days). I do not eat processed foods or fast foods - alcohol is at a maximum of once a month. I eat several small meals throughout the day consisting of lean meat or fish, fresh veggies, fruit, and organic yogurt. My favorite treat is organic yogurt with a handful of organic raw almonds.

Giving up my vices gave me a lot more than my old body back. It gave me confidence in knowing I have what it takes to get what I want.  NO PILL CAN DO THAT FOR YOU.
NOT BAD FOR A MOTHER OF TWO:)

No comments:

Post a Comment