Friday, November 16, 2012

No T No Shade: Lupron For The Treatment of Endometriosis

Five "T" Rating System: One T = Hell No
                                           Five T's = What are you waiting for


Lupron (Leuprolide Acetate) is a man-made hormone mainly used to treat men with prostate cancer. Lupron is also used to treat some hormonal conditions such as early onset puberty in children and @endometriosis in women. As per the @FDA, Lupron is considered an effective and medically safe treatment for endometriosis. I BEG TO DIFFER.
 

HOW DOES LUPRON WORK?
Lupron works in two stages. After your first injection, expect an increase in your symptoms which is due to increase in estradiol levels. You think that's bad, after a few more injections of Lupron ushers in stage 2. Your estrogen levels plummet bringing on a deluge of new symptoms.
 
According to Lupron manufactorer, Abbott Labratories, the side effects are: hot flashes, vaginal dryness, headaches, mood swings, decreased sex drive, depression, and forgettfulness. As a nurse and an endometriosis sufferer, I WISH I could tell you these are the only side effects! By shot number three, prepare for the worst and expect the worst.
 
 
Since my GYN at the time was getting a kickback of $300 per shot and a Hawaiian vaca/conference from the manufacturer, he left out a few things when explaining the effects of putting a 28 year old into chemical menopause. After shot number three I experienced:
• Hot and cold flashes
• Night sweats
• Palpitations
• Fainting and dizziness
• Rapid heartbeat and irregular heartbeat
• Headaches
• Depression
• Anxiety
• Vaginal bacterial infection
• Loss of libido
• Tenderness in the breasts
• Acne
• Sudden weight gain (I went from a size 4 to a size 16)
 
By shot number four I had to go on disability. My endometriosis pain was gone but, it was replaced with excruciating bone pain brought on by a 10% loss in bone density. I was reduced to a hobbling hot mess punctuated with extensive hair loss and an extra fifty pounds. There were days I begged for death. When God wouldn't answer my request I made a cocktail of bleach, Ativan, and Benadryl to inject into my bloated body.
 
As I was pricking my thigh with the needle God sent me a message from TV evangelist @Joyce Meyer. At the time, I didn't know of this woman and I swear I didn't leave the television on. She said, "God wants you to stop and think about what you will be doing to the ones you will be leaving behind." I dropped the poison filled syringe and broke down.
 
It took years for me to get back to looking and feeling like me again. Natural medicine saved my life... literately.
 
I give Lupron as a treatment for endometriosis (one T) T... and their lucky to get even that.
 
Consider Lupron only after exhausting ever other option.

2 comments:

  1. http://www.lawyersandsettlements.com/articles/drugs-medical/drug-side-effects-medical-device-companies-dangerous-2-13725.html


    Take a look at this

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh. My God. I just had a doctor STRONGLY ENCOURAGE me to take Lupron, and I feel like he's got to be getting kickbacks. How did you find out that your doctor was? I'm so glad I Googled before rolling up my sleeve and letting them inject me.

    ReplyDelete